Biostatistics 251 Multivariate Biostatistics
Prerequisites: Satisfactory performance in Biostat 250a and b. Biostat 251 is a mathematical introduction to multivariate statistical methods for biostatistics doctoral students. Doctoral students from statistics, education and psychology have successfully completed the course. This is neither applied nor a substitute for Biostat 406. We move very quickly, and we cover many different methods. If you have taken Biostat 100a in the past 3 years, you do not belong in this class.
Spring 2014 - Robert Weiss
- Web Pages updated for 2014...
- Class Schedule & Syllabus/Course Info updated for 2014 ...
Class Schedule, Email Address, and Office Hours:
|Lecture||10:00 - 11:50||Monday, Wednesday||41-268 CHS|
|Discussion||11:00 - 11:50||Friday (usually will not meet)||71-257 CHS|
|Prof||Robert Weissfirstname.lastname@example.org||51-269 CHS|
|MidQuarter||10:00 - 11:50||Monday May 12||41-268 CHS|
|Final||3:00 - 6:00pm||Tuesday June 10||41-268 CHS|
|Office Hours||12:00 - 1:00||Monday, Wednesday||51-269 CHS|
Syllabus and Textbook
2014 Syllabus and Course Information
Lecture Notes. Zipped directory of complete set of lecture notes. Password protected. Bring to class!
Pictures of Students Relaxing with Our Textbook
2014 Homework Note: Homework due dates are weekly every Wednesday.
- Possible papers to present (PPP) (Presentations 8th week).
- Single Index Models (Jia & Weiss; Weiss, Jia & Suchard) GW M1
- Multivariate nested longitudinal counts (Zhu & Weiss; Supplement) DC W2
- IOU Processes (Taylor, Cumberland & Sy; Sy, Taylor & Cumberland) QL W1
- t Models for Longitudinal Data (Lange, Little & Taylor)
- Latent Process Model for MV longitudinal (Proust, Jacqmin-Gadda, Taylor, Ganiayre & Commenges) MF M2
- An Analysis of Paediatric CD4 Counts for Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome Using Flexible Random Curves (Shi, Weiss & Taylor); Principal component models for sparse functional data (Hastie, James and Sugar); Nonparametric Mixed Effects Models for Unequally Sampled Noisy Curves (Rice & Wu)
- Homework Number 1. Due Apr 16.
- Homework Number 2. Due Apr 23.
- Homework Number 3. Due Apr 30.
- Homework Number 4. Due May 7. [Updated 5/2/2014, fixed error in problem 1(d) formula at end of line 2. Re-uploaded at 9:44pm.]
- Homework Number 5. Due May 14.
- Homework Number 6. Due May 28.
- Homework Number 7. Due May 28.
- Homework Number 8. Due June 4.
- Modeling Longitudinal Data Text Home Page
- Biostat 236 Repeated Measures
- R Project Home Page
- On line Proc Mixed documentation from SAS Institute
- UCLA ATS's SAS resources
BSI Data Set
Lab 8: Longitudinal data plots in R
After downloading the data and the code, you should have two .RData extension files. Drag and drop them on your R command window to load them into R. Any questions, let me know.
R commands and files to produce all figures from chapter 2 in my book Requires all the data sets and files that follow.